OCI N.V. has grown from a small family run construction business into a global producer and distributor of natural gas based fertilizers and industrial chemicals.
The Early Years
- Onsi Sawiris founded a construction company, which he built into one of Egypt's largest general contractors.
- Onsi Sawiris transferred control to his son, Nassef Sawiris, who embarked upon an ambitious diversification strategy through investments in complementary businesses including cement and building materials.
- in 1999, the company became Orascom Construction Industries S.A.E. (OCI S.A.E.) and was floated on the Egyptian Exchange at a value of $ 600 million.
Becoming OCI N.V.
- In January 2013, OCI N.V. launched a tender offer to acquire its former parent company, OCI S.A.E., resulting in our redomiciliation to the Netherlands and listing on the Euronext in Amsterdam.
The Fertilizer & Chemicals Group
- First entered the nitrogen fertilizer industry by acquiring a 60% stake in Egypt Basic Industries Corporation (EBIC), acquiring 100% of Egyptian Fertilizers Company, and beginning construction of Sorfert Algérie.
- Developed our European footprint by acquiring 100% of Royal DSM’s nitrogen fertilizer and melamine assets in the Netherlands, which we renamed OCI Nitrogen, and acquiring 100% of an ammonia terminal at the port of Rotterdam, which we renamed OCI Terminal Europoort (OTE).
- Became a truly global player in both the nitrogen fertilizer and industrial chemicals sectors:
- Acquired 100% of Pandora Methanol in Texas, USA, which we renamed OCI Beaumont and listed 21.7% on the NYSE as OCI Partners LP
- Began construction of Iowa Fertilizer Company (IFCo), the first nitrogen fertilizer plant built in the United States in nearly 30 years
- Began construction of Natgasoline LLC, one of the world’s largest greenfield methanol plants, in Texas, USA
- Achieved significant production capacity growth through several projects, including adding 25% capacity at OCI Beaumont through a debottlenecking project, acquiring BioMCN, a methanol producer and pioneer in bio-methanol in the Netherlands, and beginning production at IFCo and Natgasoline in the United States.
The Construction Group
- Acquired 50% of Belgian construction company the BESIX Group in a leveraged buyout with management.
- Acquired the Weitz Company, headquartered in Iowa, USA.
- Demerged the construction business to form Orascom Construction Limited (OCL) through a repayment of capital to shareholders. OCL was listed on the NASDAQ Dubai as an independent company on 9 March 2015. Please click here for more information about the spin-off.
The Cement Group
- Our first cement subsidiary, Egyptian Cement Company, commenced commercial operations in April with a total annual capacity of 1.5 million tons.
- The Cement Group had grown into a top 10 global player with 35 million tons of capacity in 12 countries, and an additional 10 million tons under construction. In December 2007, we announced the divestment of the Cement Group to Lafarge SA for an enterprise value of $ 15 billion.